Code of conduct
The IOA has developed the following code of conduct for IOA members.
It is your duty as an optometrist:
- To keep your patients' eye, vision and general health your first priority.
- To respect the rights and dignity of patients regarding their health care decisions.
- To advise your patients whenever consultation with, or referral to, another optometrists or other health professional is appropriate.
- To strive to ensure that all people have access to eye and vision care.
- To maintain and advance your professional knowledge and skills.
- To maintain your practice in accordance with professional health care standards.
- To promote ethical and cordial relationships with all members of the health care community.
- To maintain the dignity, honour and integrity of the optometric profession.